The U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued a safety communication recommending against amalgam use in people who are at higher risk from the adverse effects of mercury exposure, including…
- Pregnant women and their developing babies
- Women who are planning to become pregnant
- Nursing women and their newborns and infants
- Children, especially those younger than six years of age
- People with pre-existing neurological disease
- People with impaired kidney function
- People with known heightened sensitivity (allergy) to mercury or other components of dental amalgam.